Our skin is our biggest organ.
Women put an average of 168 chemicals on their bodies every day.
About 13,000 chemicals are used in beauty products and only about 10% of those have been evaluated for safety.
Recent studies show 1 out of 8 women will develop some type of breast cancer in her lifetime.
Some things to think about.
How often to you apply deodorant?
Deodorant kills the bacteria when you sweat which keeps you from smelling. Antiperspirants stop you from sweating.
I am not Cameron Diaz. I have to wear deodorant.
Most deodorants/antiperspirants contain some really harmful stuff.
- Aluminum – heavy metal linked to breast cancer and an increased risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Parabens – preservative linked to mimic the activity of estrogen in the body’s cells. They have been found in samples of tissue from human breast tumors.
- Triethanolamine and Diethanolamine – TEA and DEA – known carcinogens that are already banned in Europe
- Propylene Glycol – usually found in high percentages in deodorant. Shown to cause skin irritations and damage to your central nervous system
- Triclosan – finally just banned by the FDA from soap, this toxin has been associated with hormone disruption.
Labels can be deceptive.
I am always testing out new deodorants. I live in the desert and I spend a lot of time in hot yoga. I seem to always be sweating and I am fine with that, I just don’t want to smell!
Healthy deodorants will not stop you from sweating, so they definitely take some getting used to. I have not been able to wrap my brain around wiping a cream in my arm pits, so for now I am sticking with the sticks.
My current favorites are…..
Meow Meow Tweet – plant and mineral powders with essential oils. It only has a touch of baking soda so it is great for those with sensitive skin.
Lavanila – essential oils blended with anti-oxidants and beta-glucan technology.
There is one deodorant in the photo that I probably won’t purchase again. It was too heavy on the oils and I found it stained my clothes. Let’s just say I probably won’t be their Agent.